The Western Virginia Regional Jail has contracted with Smart Communications to install Kiosks/Tablets in all housing units and will be available to inmates for outside and internal communications.
To maintain security and safety of the inmates and staff, Effective January 1, 2019 all inmate postal mail must be sent to the following address:
Smart Communications-Western Virginia Regional Jail
INMATE NAME-ID NUMBER
3735 Franklin Rd. SW, #275
Roanoke, VA 24014-2260
The Inmate Name and ID Number must be clearly PRINTED on the outside of the envelope or postcard, to ensure the mail is posted to the correct amount. Mail not containing the inmate ID Number and the Name will be "Returned to Sender"
All regular inmate postal mail (Postcards, Letters, Greeting Cards, etc.) will be scanned into the system and available to the inmates to view their postal mail via the inmate kiosk/tablets.
Upon release inmates can login to the public website at: https://www.smartjailmail.com/ and enter their inmate number and password and download their photos, messages, and postal mail for FREE.
Family and friends are encouraged to communicate with their loved ones incarcerated at the jail. The mail is a good resource for maintaining that line of communication.
While there is no restriction on the amount of mail an inmate may send or receive, there is a restriction on the size of certain mail coming into the Jail (restriction does not apply to legal/privileged mail).
- No mail weighing more than 1 ounce will be accepted and mail over 1 ounce shall be returned to sender.
- Correspondence must be on white paper only and each page can be no larger than 8 1/2 x 14 inches in size.
- Effective January 1, 2018 the Western Virginia Regional Jail will no longer accept cash, certified checks, or money orders received through the mail for inmate accounts. Any fund received in this manner after this date will be returned to sender. Funds will continue to be accepted for inmate accounts in the following ways:
-> WVRJ Lobby Drop Box - Cash and Money Orders made payable to WVRJ
-> WVRJ Lobby ATM - Cash or Credit Card
-> Jail ATM (https://deposits.jailatm.com/WebDeposits/)
Incoming and outgoing mail will not be rejected on the basis of its contents, unless the mail falls under one of the following criteria:
- Any material which contains obscenity, sexually explicit, blackmail, contraband, or threats
- Any material which contains plans of criminal activities, maps, or plots to escape, and any material which communicates information designed to encourage inmates to disrupt the jail by strikes, riots, fights, racial or religious hatred, or other prohibited acts
- Any publication which may adversely affect the security of the jail or the safety of the persons therein
- Newspaper or magazine clippings from outside publications
- No construction paper, card stock or sketch paper
- No greeting card
- Paper with any coloring or markings
- Photos will be photocopied, the original will be placed in the inmates property and the photocopy will be delivered to the inmate
- Publications which advocate the violent overthrow of the government of the United States or of a state, or which advocate violence or rebellion against government authority, under which the inmate is held
- Publications which violate United States Postal regulations
- The Regional Jail will not accept items for inmates that are free or incentives for purchasing or receiving publications or other items
Contraband items discovered in an inmate’s mail will be seized. Both the inmate and the sender will be notified of any item which has been seized and the reason for the seizure.
How to Address Mail
The following is an example of how mail sent should be addressed:
c/o Western Virginia Regional Jail
5885 West River Road
Salem, Virginia 24153